Top Australian Footballer Charged With Armed Robbery
May 28, 1998 - 0:0
SYDNEY A top Australian footballer who scored the winning goal in the National Soccer League final earlier this month has been charged with armed robbery, police said Wednesday. South Melbourne star Con Boutsianis, 26, was on bail for allegedly driving a getaway car in a 50,000 dollar (U.S.$32,000) heist when he snatched a last-minute victory against Carlton on May 16. His lawyer said he will plead not guilty to the charge, but if convicted he faces up to 25 years in jail.
During the January 12 robbery on a Melbourne office linked to a well-known restaurant chain, a man with a pistol allegedly bound and gagged two staff before fleeing to a waiting car. No one else has yet been charged with the offense, police said. (AFP)
During the January 12 robbery on a Melbourne office linked to a well-known restaurant chain, a man with a pistol allegedly bound and gagged two staff before fleeing to a waiting car. No one else has yet been charged with the offense, police said. (AFP)