|Culture Ministry agrees to modify controversial film after clerics’ protests||
“The viewpoints of the ulama about ‘Hussein, Who Said No’ will be taken into consideration,” Iran Cinema Organization Director Hojjatollah Ayyubi said during a meeting with Ayatollah Nasser Makarem Shirazi in Qom on Thursday.
The depiction of Prophet Muhammad (S) and his household (AS) in any art production are not allowed.
Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi sent a letter to Ayyubi last week protesting the depiction of members of Shia saints in the film, which premiered at the 32nd Fajr International Film Festival held In Tehran from February 1 to 11.
The faces of Hazrat Abbas (AS), the brother of Imam Hussein (AS); Hazrat Ali-Akbar (AS) and Hazrat Ali-Asghar (AS), the sons of Imam Hussein (AS); and Hazrat Qasim (AS), the son of Imam Hassan (AS) have been depicted graphically in scenes of the film directed by Ahmadreza Darvish.
Culture Minister Ali Jannati previously said that the scenes will be modified for public premiere of the film by use of computerized special effects. The ICO is affiliated with the culture ministry.
Darvish along with a large number of international professionals spent about ten years making the blockbuster, which was sponsored by a number of major governmental organizations.
Ayatollah Lotfollah Safi Golpayegani also raised an objection over the film last week.
“Hussein, Who Said No” won five Crystal Simorghs in the categories of best film, best director, best composer, best cinematographer, and best costume and set designer at the Fajr film festival.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader