| Film to revive capture of U.S. embassy in Tehran |
|
|
|
|
|
TEHRAN -- An Iranian filmmaker plans to make a film that will revitalize the story of the capture of the U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1979. “Defeat 79” is about a worker for an Iranian post revolution organization in a village, who becomes entangled in “Operation Eagle Claw” in which a number of American servicemen trying to rescue their compatriots were captured at the U.S. embassy in Tehran in November 1979. The U.S. defeat in the operation will indirectly be considered in the movie that is to be directed by Mohammadreza Eslamlu, producer Mahmud Mohammad Ta’emeh told the Persian service of the Fars News Agency on Friday. The screenplay for the film has also been written by Eslamlu, who has helmed “The 9/11 Black Box”, a documentary that examines doubts surrounding the 9/11 terrorist attacks. “Defeat 79” shooting is expected to begin in late fall, Ta’emeh said. The U.S. defeat in the operation has been previously depicted in “The Sand Storm”, directed by Javad Shamaqdari who is currently the deputy culture minister for cinematic affairs. A graduate of the University of Texas at Austin, Eslamlu, 64, is a close friend of Shamaqdari. He has previously made “Human Rights”, an anti-Israeli documentary. Eslamlu had been assigned by Shamaqdari to accompany American cineaste Michelle Nickelson in “We the People of the Islamic Republic of Iran”, a documentary about the June 2009 presidential election in Iran. However, the documentary was never made because of post-election unrest in Iran. Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader |




















