U.S. President Barack Obama has denied a New York Times report published this weekend that said the White House had forged a secret agreement with Iran to hold one-on-one negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear issue after the November 6 U.S. presidential election, the Wall Street Journal reported.
“Those were reports in the newspaper. They are not true,” Obama said during a presidential debate with Republican rival Mitt Romney on Monday.
On Saturday, the White House said it is prepared to talk one-on-one with Tehran to find a diplomatic settlement to the Iranian nuclear issue, but there’s no agreement now to meet.
On Sunday, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi also dismissed the news reports claiming that Iran has agreed to hold direct negotiations with the United States.
“We hold negotiations within the framework of the 5+1 group (talks),” Salehi stated, referring to the negotiations between Iran and the 5+1 group (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany) over the country’s nuclear program.
The New York Times reported that the U.S. and Iran have agreed in principle to negotiations. The White House denied that any such agreement had been reached.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader