Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi says a U.S. military intervention in Syria will trigger more violence in the Middle East.
Zoubi made the remarks in an interview with Lebanese TV station al-Mayadeen on Saturday.
“The basic repercussion would be a ball of fire that would burn not only Syria but the whole Middle East,” said the Syrian information minister, adding, “An attack on Syria would be no easy trip.”
Over the past year, violence in Syria has already spilled to some parts of the region.
The White House released a statement on Saturday, saying, Washington was not yet sure if the government of President Bashar al-Assad was responsible for an alleged deadly chemical weapons attack near capital Damascus.
On Wednesday, Syria's opposition claimed that around 1,300 people were killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar.
But the Syrian Army strongly rejected any role in the alleged chemical attack, saying the accusations were fabricated to distract a visiting team of the UN chemical weapons experts and to cover up militants' losses.
Earlier on Saturday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Araqchi also warned against any foreign military intervention in Syria, saying, there is no international mandate for intervention in the crisis-hit country.
On Friday, U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the Pentagon was moving forces into place in case U.S. President Barack Obama opts for military action against Syria.
Syria has been gripped by deadly unrest since 2011. According to reports, the Western powers and their regional allies -- especially Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey -- are supporting the militants operating inside Syria.
According to the United Nations, more than 100,000 people have been killed and a total of 7.8 million of others displaced due to the violence.
(Source: Press TV)
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader