TEHRAN – The Iranian government is taking a Ministry of Defense-owned company to the High Court to end a £400m row over British-made Chieftain tanks that has dragged on for 35 years, the Independent reported on Sunday.
At the centre of the dispute are hundreds of tanks paid for by Tehran but never delivered as a result of the 1979 Iranian Revolution. The Shah of Iran had ordered 1,750 tanks and support vehicles for £650m from International Military Services (IMS) before he was toppled. Only 185 were delivered and Iran has wanted its money back ever since. The International Chamber of Commerce sided with Tehran in an arbitration concluded in 2009.
The dispute was thought to have been settled in 2010, but has been further prolonged.
IMS set aside hundreds of millions of pounds more than a decade ago in case international courts later ruled against the firm. In 2010, it was expected that IMS would transfer to an account holding Iranian assets more than £390m, which Tehran could not access because of EU sanctions.
IMS was then to be wound down, but the MoD's shareholding of all but one of the firm's 20 million shares is still noted deep in the department's annual accounts. Details of what happened in the years in between.
However, Iran will again chase IMS for nearly £400m in the High Court this summer, according to the Independent.
IMS directors, led by chairman and former senior MoD official Sir Roger Jackling, thought an agreement had been struck with the Iranians after the 2009 ruling and the company ceased any trading activities in February 2010. Iranian negotiators and IMS met in July 2010 and March 2011 to iron out the details of what was thought to be a final settlement.
Iran tried to take IMS to the High Court last summer, but the British team was concerned that the judge's expertise was in property litigation rather than in sensitive international contractual battles. The case was delayed, but is due to begin later this year, much to the bemusement of British officials who feel "there is very little between" the two parties on what is owed and how monies can be offset and transferred.
MoD officials are still hopeful that a negotiated settlement could be completed before the latest legal action starts, but there is some speculation that Tehran's brokers would rather resolve the issue through a court ruling than appear to have compromised in any way.
In IMS's latest annual report, the board states, "Once all these issues have been resolved, the intention is to liquidate the company."
Alison Seabeck, a shadow minister under the Shadow Secretary of State for Defense, said, "It is unclear why the MoD didn't... try to clear the matter off its books [or why it] went for a deferment of the court case last year."
An MoD spokesman said, "No money will be paid to Iran while EU sanctions remain in place. Settlement negotiations between International Military Services Ltd and the Iranian (government) are ongoing and no agreement has yet been reached."
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader