Clashes broke out on Wednesday between Palestinians and Israeli troops after the body of a Palestinian teenager kidnapped in al-Quds (Jerusalem) was found.
A spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas held Israel responsible for the youth’s death, saying Tel Aviv must "find the killers."
"Israel is fully responsible for the killing of the teenager and we demand that the perpetrators are found and held accountable," Nabil Abu Rudeina said.
Abbas demanded that Israel take concrete steps to stop attacks on Palestinians.
The protests became violent after Israeli troops fired tear gas to disperse the crowds.
Yusuf Abu Zagher, 18, was found dead after being forced into a vehicle outside a supermarket in a region in the occupied East al-Quds (Jerusalem) early on Wednesday.
Israeli media sources close to the army said that the body of the Palestinian teenager was found in a forest in Beit Hanina within hours. They said the Palestinian boy was apparently killed in a “revenge attack.”
The incident happened a day after Israel buried three settlers, whose bodies had been found in a field near the village of Hilhul, north of the city of al-Khalil (Hebron) in the West Bank. Tel Aviv claims the Palestinian resistance movement, Hamas, is responsible for the death of the three. Hamas rejects the allegation.
Israeli forces killed several Palestinians and arrested hundreds of others, including Hamas members and lawmakers, as part of the military operations that were purportedly carried out in search of the three settlers, who Israel claimed had gone missing on June 12.
Hamas had already denied involvement in the disappearance of the settlers and said Israel is trying to sabotage the recent reconciliation accord reached between the Palestinian factions of Hamas and Fatah, which led to the formation of the Palestinian national unity government.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader