-

 
logo
                                        Volume. 12140
Iranians took 62 million trips during Eid al-Fitr holidays
Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
c_330_235_16777215_0___images_stories_edim_01_00(22).jpgTEHRAN – Iranian Traffic Police Chief Eskandar Momeni announced on Saturday that Iranians took 62,162,000 trips during the Eid al-Fitr holidays on Tuesday and Wednesday.
 
More trips were taken than during the Noruz (Iranian New Year) holidays, Momeni told reporters. 
 
He added that cameras on highways showed that one third of the visits were to the provinces of Gilan, Alborz, and Mazandaran.
 
He also said the provinces of Qom, Fars, and Khorasan Razavi had the next highest number of visits. The travelers mostly visited the north and northwest of the country, he stated.
 
He went on to say that about 75 percent of the travelers returned home by Friday night and it was predicted that the remaining 25 percent would return by Saturday night.
 
When the holidays began, travelers were stuck in very heavy traffic, such that in some instances, what would normally have been a three-hour drive took more than 10 hours, he added.
 
Momeni said the return trips were better planned, and this led to a better flow of traffic, no traffic jams, and less traffic congestion.
 
He advised people to change their pattern of travel in order to reduce traffic congestion on inter-city highways.
 
He also said there are many tourist attractions and great natural beauty in the west and northwest of the country, and especially in the Zagros Mountains, which people can visit in summertime. 
 
The traffic police chief also suggested that the government and the Majlis regulate holidays so that there would not be unprecedented rises in highway traffic, like what was witnessed during the Eid al-Fitr holidays.
 
Momeni also said that efforts should be made to speed up the construction of the new highway that will connect Tehran to the north of the country.
 
PA/HG

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit