-

 
logo
                                        Volume. 12160
Palestinians accept new 72-hour ceasefire offer
Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
c_330_235_16777215_0___images_stories_edim_01_Gaza99(21).jpgPalestinian negotiators on Sunday said they had accepted an Egyptian proposal for a new 72-hour truce with Israel, clearing the way for a possible resumption of talks on a long-term ceasefire arrangement in the Gaza Strip.
 
Israel had walked away from ceasefire talks over the weekend. Sunday's decision was aimed at bringing the Israelis back to the negotiations. There was no immediate Israeli response, according to AP. 
 
"We are here to look for an agreement. We cannot have an agreement without talks, so we accepted an Egyptian proposal to have a ceasefire for 72 hours in order to resume the talks," said a Palestinian negotiator.
 
He, along with other Palestinian negotiators who confirmed the decision, spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the negotiations with the media.
 
The Egyptian-mediated talks are aimed at brokering a long-term truce arrangement between Israel and the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip following the heaviest fighting between the bitter enemies since Hamas took control of Gaza in 2007.
 
In nearly a month of fighting, more than 1,900 Palestinians were killed, including hundreds of civilians, nearly 10,000 were wounded and thousands of homes destroyed. Sixty-seven people were killed on the Israeli side, including three civilians.
 
Earlier Sunday, Palestinians threatened to quit the negotiations if Israel did not return, while Israeli leaders said there would be no talks while the rocket fire continues.
 
"Israel will not negotiate under fire," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday, warning his country's military campaign "will take time."
 
Hamas is seeking an end to an Israeli-Egypt blockade that has decimated the local economy.
 

Operations carried out against Israel in West Bank
 
The Palestinian resistance carried out three operations against the Israeli army Saturday night in the West Bank as the ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinians came to an end Friday, Al Araby Al Jadeed news agency reported.
 
The first incident is reported near the town of Qalqilya, in the northern West Bank where the Palestinian resistance fighters shot at an Israeli military vehicle that was passing near the area.
 
In Al-Bireh town, in the central West Bank, local sources reported hearing gunfire towards the Israeli Psagot settlement where a Palestinian young man, Muhammad al- Qatari from the Al- Amari refugee camp adjacent to the settlement was killed by the Israeli army two days ago.
 
Meanwhile, in Al- Arroub refugee camp, north of Hebron in the southern West Bank, Palestinian fighters shot at Israeli soldiers who were stationed outside the camp's entrance and fled the scene.
 

11-year-old boy killed in West Bank
 
An 11-year-old Palestinian boy was shot dead by Israeli forces near the southern West Bank city of Hebron on Sunday, Palestinian medics said.
 
"Khalil Mohammed al-Anati, 11 years old, was shot and killed in al-Fawwar refugee camp," a medical official told AFP. The camp lies southwest of Hebron.
 
Medical sources told Ma'an news agency that Anati had been shot in the back, with the gunshot entering through his lower abdomen. Medics tried to stem the bleeding in Hebron's al-Ahli hospital, but Anati was pronounced dead shortly after being admitted in the medical facility.
 

Massive pro-Palestinian demos held across the world
 
Pro-Palestinian demonstrators took to the streets of London, Paris, and Cape Town, condemning Israel’s bloody aggression on the besieged Gaza Strip and demanding their governments to take a tougher lines against Israel's atrocities.
 
The Palestinian Solidarity Campaign said 150,000 people marched through central London on Saturday, the third major demonstration for Gaza in London in the past four weeks.
 
Protesters packed the main shopping artery of Oxford Street, marching to the U.S. embassy and on to Hyde Park, many of them chanting "Free, Free Palestine" and holding up banners saying "UK - Stop Arming Israel".
   
The demonstrators called for an end to the massacre of people in the Gaza Strip. Protesters called on the government to end its support for Israel's siege of Gaza and to ban UK arms exports to Israel.
 
There were also fresh protests in Paris, which has seen several demonstrations related to the war in recent weeks.
 
Several thousand people took part in the march, calling for the end of Israeli aggression, with a heavy police presence in place.
 
Elsewhere in South Africa’s port city of Cape Town, pro-Palestinian demonstrators took to the streets to slam Israel's killing of innocent civilians.
 
The Israeli military aggression against Gaza, which began on July 8, has claimed the lives of more than 1,900 Palestinians, including more than 400 children, and wounded about 10,000 others.
 

Solidarity with Gaza 'yet another setback for Israel'
 
The mass protests sweeping Europe in solidarity with Gaza represent another setback for Israel, Hamas said.
 
The protests, said Hamas's spokesman Fawzi Barhoum, "reflect the huge transformation of international public opinion in favour of Gaza and the legitimate cause of Palestinians."
 
Major European cities, including Paris, London and Madrid, have recently witnessed massive protests against the Israeli onslaught on Gaza.
 

Calls for Netanyahu to resign
 
Knesset member, Eitan Cabel, chairman of the opposition Labour Party has issued a scathing attack against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over his "confused" management of the war in the Gaza Strip, saying that he should resign his post, Israel Radio reported.
 
Cabel called on Netanyahu to resign in light of what he described as "the deteriorating security situation for the communities adjacent to the Gaza Strip".
 
Cabel said in a statement "the people in Israel are confused about Netanyahu's positions and objectives", adding that there is the impression that "Netanyahu himself does not know the fate of his policy".
 
The radio said that "there is considerable ambiguity surrounding the future of confrontation and the ongoing negotiations in Cairo especially as Hamas leader, Mousa Abu Marzouk hints that the Palestinian delegation and Hamas are withdrawing from the ceasefire talks in Cairo".
 

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit