Israel and the Palestinians began talks in Cairo on Monday to try to end the conflict in Gaza and lift the blockade on the coastal enclave, Egypt's state news agency MENA said.
The indirect talks are being mediated by Egypt and began a day after the two sides agreed to begin a new 72-hour truce.
Hamas' political bureau chief, Khaled Meshaal, said Sunday that any lasting truce must include lifting the siege on Gaza.
Concerning the current 72-hour ceasefire reached yesterday between Israel and the Palestinians, Meshaal said, "The truce is one of the ways or tactics which aim at either providing an appropriate climate for the success of negotiations, or to facilitate the delivery of aid to the Gaza Strip."
He insisted that the primary goal of the Palestinians is to end the siege, and that they will not give up on this demand.
"We insist on this goal. In the case of Israeli procrastination or continued aggression, Hamas is ready with other Palestinian factions to resist on the ground and politically and to face all possibilities," Meshaal told AFP.
Month-old Palestinian girl dies of injuries
Meanwhile, a month-and-a-half-old child injured in an Israeli attack on Gaza died on Monday, Palestinian Health Ministry spokesperson Ashraf al-Qudra said, according to AFP.
The death of Mayda Mohammed Aslan in a central Gaza attack brings to 1,940 the number of Palestinians killed since Israel launched its terror campaign against the besieged strip on July 8.
The killing of the infant makes her one of the youngest victims of Israel's U.S.-backed assault, now in its 35th day.
As of Sunday night, 467 children, 243 women and 87 elderly have been killed in the assault, Qudra wrote on Twitter. Of the 10,000 Palestinians injured, 3,009 were children, 1,912 women, and 359 elderly.
No others deaths were reported in Gaza Monday as a 72-hour truce took effect at midnight.
Palestinian youth shot dead near Nablus
Israeli occupation forces killed a Palestinian youth in the West Bank on Monday during a raid on his house near the city of Nablus, local medical officials said.
Local witnesses said Zakaria al-Aqra, 23, was "wanted" by Israel and had been shot dead. Six other people were wounded in the attack, including three girls aged four, seven and 15, Ma'an news agency reported.
A part of Aqra's house was destroyed by an Israeli bulldozer, local officials said.
Aqra is the third Palestinian to be killed by occupation forces in the West Bank in four days.
His killing comes a day after occupation forces shot dead an 11-year-old boy near Hebron.
Israel failed to achieve objectives: ex-military chief
The former Israeli minister of war has acknowledged that the Zionist regime’s Solid Rock operation against the besieged Gaza Strip failed to achieve its objectives and the Palestinian resistance succeeded in pushing the Israeli forces toward a war of attrition.
Shaul Mofaz was cited by Israeli media outlets as making the remarks on Sunday, further expressing his belief that the regime’s recent massive onslaught against Gaza’s Palestinian population did not fulfill its intended objectives.
"In fact, Israel reached the point where Hamas and its allies wanted her (the Zionist regime) to be, and they are accomplishing their objectives by leading her into a war of attrition," he said.
"Indeed, these days we are facing the loss of trust in Israel which is ought to be restored, Solid Rock was supposed to restore security and trust to Israelis but it didn’t,” Mofaz further emphasized, referring to the Zionist settlers’ feelings of insecurity.
The former Zionist military chief also strongly criticized the management of the regime’s ongoing war on Gaza, underlining that “we started the battle late and quitted Gaza strip soon; not only our goals weren’t achieved but also deterrent power was not restored."
"Southern Israel residents lost their trust in security secretaries and cabinet, we only accomplished Hamas’s Goals,” The Zionist official underlined.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader