-

 
logo
                                        Volume. 11656

Leading Egyptian leftist party to boycott elections
PDF Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
c_330_235_16777215_0___images_stories_edim_03_egypt(19).jpgCAIRO (Reuters) - A leading Egyptian leftist party said on Tuesday it would boycott a parliamentary election, joining other groups that have said they will not take part because the vote has been skewed against them by an Islamic-drafted election law.
 
With Islamic parties including the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party planning nationwide campaigns, boycotts by liberals and leftists will enhance the chances of the Islamic groups securing a commanding say in the new parliament.
 
The Popular Current, led by former presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabahy, also planned to boycott talks called by President Mohamed Mursi later on Tuesday to discuss guarantees for ensuring a free and fair vote, said Heba Yassin, a spokeswoman for the party.
 
“We will neither participate in the national dialogue nor in the elections,” she told Reuters. Sabahy came in a close third in Egypt's first free presidential election last year.
 
The hard-line Salafist Nour Party announced on Monday that it planned to take part.
 
The Dustour Party, a liberal group headed by Mohamed ElBaradei, has also decided to boycott the vote, to be held in four stages starting in late April.
 
Yassin of the Popular Current added: “This is to protest against the elections law that we did not participate in drafting, and about which our opinion was not taken. Also, we reject the continuation of Mursi's oppressive policies that have led to nothing but more bloodshed and political problems.”

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit