-

 
logo
                                        Volume. 11694

Syrian PM survives bombers’ assassination attempt
PDF Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
Syrian fire fighters extinguish burning cars after a car bomb exploded in Damascus's western neighborhood of Mazzeh, Syria, April 29, 2013. (SANA photo)
Syrian fire fighters extinguish burning cars after a car bomb exploded in Damascus's western neighborhood of Mazzeh, Syria, April 29, 2013. (SANA photo)
Syria's prime minister survived an assassination attempt on Monday when a bomb went off near his convoy in Damascus, state media reported, the latest attack targeting a top official in President Bashar al-Assad's government.
 
Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi was unhurt in the bombing in the capital's western neighborhood of Mazzeh, state TV said. The TV showed footage of heavily damaged cars and debris in the area as firefighters fought to extinguish a large blaze set off by the explosion, The Associated Press reported. 
 
The state SANA news agency said one person was killed and several were wounded in the blast.
 
A Syrian government official told The Associated Press that an improvised explosive device was placed under a car that was parked in the area and was detonated as al-Halqi's car drove by. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
 
The state-run Al-Ikhbariya station said al-Halqi went into a regular weekly meeting with an economic committee straight after the bombing and showed him sitting around a table in a room with several other officials.
 
The station said it was showing the video as a proof that al-Halqi was not hurt. 
 
Al-Halqi condemned the blast, SANA said, adding that the attempt exposes how armed groups "are bankrupt" after the latest advances made by Syrian troops around the country.
 
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Monday's bombing killed al-Halqi's bodyguard and that one of his drivers was in critical condition. The group relies on a network of spies around the country.
 
The brazen attack in the highly secure Mazzeh neighborhood took place only about 100 meters (yards) from the residence of the Swiss ambassador. The posh area is also home to a major military air base, and security forces sealed it off shortly after the blast, allowing only pedestrians to come close.
 
At the scene of the bombing, damaged cars were surrounded by debris, their seats soaked with blood. A blackened shell of a school bus was left standing. A man told state TV that none of the students on board were hurt because the explosion went off shortly after they had left the bus and headed into the school.
 
The attack was not the first targeting a high official in the Syrian capital over the past year.
 
On July 18, a blast at the Syrian national security building in Damascus during a meeting of Cabinet ministers killed top four officials, including the defense minister and his deputy, who was Assad's brother-in-law. That attack also wounded the interior minister.
 
In December, a car bomb targeted the Interior Ministry in Damascus, killing several people and wounding more than 20, including Interior Minister Mohammed al-Shaar. Initially, Syrian state media said al-Shaar was not hurt in the Dec. 12 blast. News of his wounds emerged a week later, after he was brought to neighboring Lebanon for medical treatment for a serious back injury.
 
Earlier in April, Ali Ballan, head of public relations at the Ministry of Social Affairs and a member of Syria's relief agency, was shot dead while dinning in a restaurant in Mazzeh.
 
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Monday's attack.

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit