-

 
logo
                                        Volume. 11868

Nasrallah says Saudis behind blasts at Iran's Beirut embassy
PDF Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
c_330_235_16777215_0___images_stories_edim_03_Nasrallah99a.jpgHezbollah chief Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah on Tuesday blamed Saudi Arabia for a twin suicide attack on the Iranian embassy in Beirut that killed 25 people last month, AFP reported. 
 
The Abdullah Azzam Brigades, an Al-Qaeda affiliate that claimed responsibility for the attacks, "has an emir and he is Saudi, and I am convinced that it is linked to the Saudi intelligence services, which direct groups like this one in several parts of the world," Nasrallah told Lebanese broadcaster OTV.
 
While Hezbollah and Iran support Syria's President Bashar al-Assad, Saudi Arabia backs rebel fighters seeking his ouster.
 
The November 19 bomb attacks on the Iranian embassy came amid major government offensives against terrorists on several key fronts in Syria, among them Damascus province and Aleppo.
 
In his remarks to OTV, Nasrallah said the blasts that hit the embassy, which is located in Hezbollah's southern Beirut bastion, were "linked to Saudi Arabia's rage against Iran over its failure" in Syria.
 
Saudi Arabia is "making Iran pay the price for the consequences of the failure of its plans in the region," he added.
 
While Riyadh's regional rival Tehran has "tried for years to open the doors (for talks) with Saudi Arabia, the one that closed all the doors and windows... was Saudi Arabia," said Nasrallah.
 
"The problem with Saudi Arabia since the beginning is that it has dealt with Iran as an enemy," he added.
 
"Saudi Arabia seeks to impose itself as the leader of the Arab and Muslim world, and refuses any friend or companion. It wants all the governments of the Arab and Muslim world to follow (its) orders."
 
Nasrallah meanwhile said Iran's nuclear deal with the Western so-called P5+1 powers has "delayed war for the long run," even as it remains a "temporary" accord.
 
Hezbollah fighting in Syria 'to protect Lebanon'
 
On Hezbollah's involvement in Syria's brutal war, which in 32 months has left more than 126,000 dead and forced millions more to flee their homes, Nasrallah said his movement has sent in fighters "to protect Lebanon."
 
"Should Syria fall into the hands of these (rebel) armed groups, what will Lebanon's future be?" Nasrallah asked.
 
"We went to Syria to defend all of Lebanon."
He also said "most car bombs that were sent to Lebanon came from Yabrud and Nabuk" in Damascus province, where Syria's army and pro-Assad fighters are fighting to crush positions held by terrorists.
 
While Hezbollah's involvement in the Syria war has stoked criticism from the opposition, he said "there were come a day when all those... will thank us."
 
Nasrallah also said Hezbollah's intervention in Syria was "gradual," and that its fighters are now engaged in fighting around Damascus, near the Lebanese border and in the central province of Homs.
 
Hezbollah first admitted sending fighters into Syria in May this year, when it fought alongside government troops to take back Qusayr, a key former rebel stronghold in Homs province near Lebanon's border.
 
Ever since, it has sent fighters into Syria to back Assad's troops, in a decision which Nasrallah said the group took independently.
 
"We did not enter Syria under an Iranian decision. This was our decision, and we informed our brothers in Iran of it," said the Hezbollah chief.
 
By intervening in Syria's war, "we mitigated the losses and repercussions of the situation in Syria on Lebanon," he added.
 
Lebanon is sharply divided over Syria's war, though the state's official stance on the conflict is of neutrality.

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit