-

 
logo
  Last Update:  28 November 2011 23:26  GMT                                      Volume. 11308

Bahrain opposition plans election boycott
PDF Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
altBahrain's main opposition party will boycott next month's special parliamentary elections for seats left vacant by mass resignations to protest a crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators, a senior opposition official said Friday.

An election snub by the group Al Wefaq would be a serious blow to efforts by Bahrain's monarchy to portray stability in the strategic island kingdom, which is home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, AP reported. 

But Bahrain remains bitterly divided after months of unrest and clashes between security forces and protesters seeking greater rights for the country's majority Shias.

Al Wefaq envoys walked out of reconciliation talks last month after claiming they were insulted by pro-government officials. The Sept. 24 ballot was called after Al Wefaq 18 lawmakers resigned in March -- a month after Bahrainis began protests inspired by other Arab uprisings.

Shia Muslims represent about 70 percent of the population, but are denied top political and security jobs. Protesters also demand that Bahrain's more than 200-year-old Sunni dynasty loosen its control on top government posts. More than 30 people have died and hundreds have been arrested or purged from jobs in the crackdown on the opposition.

Moments after Al Wefaq official Khalil al-Marzooq announced the planned election boycott at a rally, the crowd chanted: "No going back after our sacrifices."

Recently released former opposition lawmakers Jawad Fairooz and Matar Matar, who were detained in May soon after losing parliamentary immunity, said they had been tortured in prison. 

Meanwhile, thousands of Bahraini anti-government protesters rallied near the capital upon a call by al-Wefaq. 

Demonstrators called for equality and liberty in the country. They also demanded an elected government and an end to regime discrimination against the opposition's overwhelming majority. 

Bahraini protesters have vowed to continue their protests until they achieve their “legal demands”.

In recent weeks, protesters and security forces have engaged in near nightly street skirmishes. On Thursday, authorities blocked roads leading to Pearl Square, a former protest hub in the capital Manama, after demonstrators tried to stage a march to the site.


rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit

Last Updated on 13 August 2011 17:52