-

 
logo
  Last Update:  28 November 2011 23:26  GMT                                      Volume. 11308

Mubarak trial adjourned amid chaotic scenes
PDF Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
alt
The former president has pleaded “not guilty” along with his sons to charges of murder and corruption. (AFP photo)
The trial of Hosni Mubarak, Egypt's former president, who faces charges over the deaths of protesters during the uprising that led to his toppling earlier this year, has been adjourned until next month amid chaotic scenes in a Cairo court

Trial judge Ahmed Rifaat said the court would reconvene on September 5 to hear evidence. He also ruled that the trial, which was being broadcast live by many channels and on big screens outside the court, should not be televised until sentencing.

Rifaat also ordered that Mubarak's trial should be merged with proceedings against his former interior minister, Habib al-Adly, whose trial had already been adjourned until September 5.

Mubarak, 83, who has mostly been confined to hospital since he was toppled by mass protests in February, was wheeled into the Cairo court on a stretcher as the trial resumed on Monday morning.

Dressed in a navy blue sports sweater, Mubarak appeared inside the courtroom in a caged defendants' box, along with his sons, Gamal and Alaa, who face corruption charges, and answered, “Present”, when the judge called his name.

Scores of lawyers representing some of those killed during the protests that toppled Mubarak are attending the trial and Refaat struggled to maintain order amid chaotic scenes as the court convened.

Hundreds of riot police stood guard outside the court but scuffles broke out between supporters of the former president and those demanding that Mubarak be held responsible for those killed in the final weeks of his rule.

Defense lawyers have called for hundreds of witnesses to testify in the case, including the head of Egypt's ruling military council, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, who was Mubarak's defense minister for two decades.

Reactions

Inside the courthouse, the audience which included lawyers of the victims' families, erupted in applause and cheer at Rifaat's announcement of merging the two cases of Adly and Mubarak.

The merge was “clearly a very satisfying decision” for Pro- and anti-Mubarak protesters congregated outside the courthouse, Al Jazeera correspondent Rawya Rageh reported, as they shouted in unison “Allahu Akbar” (“God is great”).

But Rifaat's decision to stop broadcasts of future proceedings conjured much anger from the crowd with many jumping onto the pews to shout at the judge.

Outside the courthouse the reaction was more muted, Rageh said, as no chants or boos were heard.

“Legal experts have made abundantly clear ahead of the proceedings that it was expected for the court to stop live broadcasts of the proceedings when the cour twas going to start listening to witnesses' testimonies,” Rageh said.

“It would simply be illegal for them to be broadcasting the sessions live as they do not want the witnesses to hear what each other are saying.

“Probably after the phase of listening to the witnesses and when it's time to utter the verdict, we will be seeing the trial broadcast live once again.”

(Source: Agencies)

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit