Military strikes against Iran no longer an option: IAEA chief
February 22, 2009
PARIS (AFP) – UN nuclear watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei says in an interview to be broadcast Sunday/today that he believed the possibility of a military attack on Iran’s nuclear installations had been ruled out.“I believe so,” he said when asked if he thought that after U.S. President George W. Bush stood down it was no longer likely that there would be a military strike.
“Force can only be used as a last option... when all other political possibilities have been exhausted,” he told Radio France International and TV5-Monde.
The comments came a day after the International Atomic Energy Agency released its new report on Iran’s nuclear activities.
After six years of intensive investigation, the IAEA has not found any evidence suggesting that Tehran is seeking a nuclear weapons program as was claimed by the Bush administration.