All hostages released in southeast Iran: IRGC
September 19, 2010
TEHRAN – All six persons who had been taken prisoner in the southeast province of Sistan-Baluchestan were released on Saturday through an operation by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, the IRGC ground forces commander announced.
On Thursday armed bandits stopped a bus traveling from Chabahar to Zahedan and took six people hostage, five soldiers and a bank employee.
IRGC Ground Forces Commander Mohammad Khakpour called the kidnappers a number of armed robbers remained from the terrorist Rigi group.
Khakpour said the bandits committed such an action in order to create a feeling of fear and dissension among the people of the region.
Khakpour said the abductees were 5 navy soldiers and a bank employee.
Earlier Ali Abdollahi, the deputy interior minister for security affairs, dismissed a Jundullah claim that the abductees were air force officers, saying they were ordinary soldiers.
Abdollahi also said the abduction was done by hooligans who probably wanted to trade the hostages with Jundullah operatives.
The Tabnak news website reported on Friday that the terrorist group Jundullah had claimed responsibility for the abduction and transferred the hostages to an outpost in the mountains of Sistan-Baluchestan.-