Tehran says no contact with Trump team over nuclear deal
TEHRAN – Iran has made no contact with President-elect Donald Trump and his transition team over an internationally-backed nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, including the U.S.
“The (incoming) American administration has not been formed yet, and some time is left until Trump moves to the White House formally,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman told a weekly press conference on Monday.
During the U.S. election campaign, Trump called the nuclear pact a “disaster” and “the worst deal ever negotiated”. He has also admitted it would be hard to overturn an agreement enshrined in a United Nations resolution.
There are concerns over Trump’s hands-off approach to the nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
Saudi Arabia and Israel, inter alia, have been harsh critics of the nuclear deal.
The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has recently said he and Donald Trump will discuss the “bad” nuclear deal with Iran after the U.S. president-elect enters the White House.
Also, last week former Iranian nuclear negotiator and a present researcher at Princeton University Seyed Hossein Mousavian said the Saudi officials are lobbying a big deal worth of billions of dollars with Trump, expecting an anti-Iran policy from him instead.