|Iranian police accept partial responsibility for blogger’s death||
TEHRAN – The Iranian police has accepted partial responsibility for the death of Sattar Beheshti, an Iranian blogger who recently died in custody.
Speaking to reporters in Tehran on Tuesday, National Police Chief Esmaeil Ahmadi-Moqaddam said, “Investigations are being carried out by the judicial apparatus. The point that a (Majlis) representative has recently stated is that the conditions in the detention center in Robat Karim (a city in southwest of Tehran) was not favorable, and this issue can be investigated, or it has been said, ‘Why this person was transferred from Evin Prison (in Tehran) during holidays and was detained during holidays?,’ and this can be regarded as a kind of negligence.”
The Iranian parliament established a committee on November 11 to investigate Beheshti’s death.
Ahmadi-Moqaddam added that another act of negligence can be that he was prescribed sedative drugs by the prison’s health center and when he was handed over to Iran’s Cyber Police, he was not allowed to take them because the necessary prescription and the permit to take them were not available at the time.
He also stated that another act of negligence can be that he was kept at an administrative section and if he had been held at the detention center, monitoring cameras would have recorded the incidents there.
However, it has not yet been proved that the police had taken measures that could have resulted in Beheshti’s death, he added.
No traces of beating have been seen on his body and there has been no motivation to kill him, Ahmadi-Moqaddam added.
He also stated that the most possible scenario is that the blogger died as a result of shock.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
|Last Updated on 27 November 2012 20:42|