-

 
logo
                                        Volume. 11778

Proposed ministers defend themselves in parliament to win confirmation
PDF Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font

c_330_235_16777215_0___images_stories_edim_02_ep2(202).jpgTEHRAN – A number of the ministers proposed by new Iranian President Hassan Rohani attended an open session of the Majlis on Tuesday and defended themselves to be able to win the parliament’s confirmation. 

 
Rohani delivered a speech in the parliament on Monday, defending the 18-member cabinet he proposed on his inauguration day on August 4. 
 
The parliament, which is dominated by conservatives, is scheduled to vote on the proposed ministers later this week. 
 
The nominated ministers have to defend themselves before the lawmakers by the voting day.
 
During Monday’s session, five MPs spoke for and five MPs spoke against the composition of the proposed cabinet. 
 
The 10 MPs had been selected from among 148 and 18 lawmakers who had registered to speak in favor of and against the proposed cabinet team respectively, which showed that the majority of the MPs support Rohani’s choices for ministerial posts.     
 
If a nominee fails to win confirmation, the president will have three months to pick a new candidate for the post. 
 
There is speculation that the proposed ministers of oil, education, science, transport, and labor may fail to receive a vote of confidence.
 
In a speech on Tuesday, Rohani’s nominee for foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, a U.S.-educated diplomat who formerly served as Iran’s permanent representative to the United Nations, elaborated on his plans, saying that he would make every effort to boost the country’s economy targeted by “illogical sanctions and pressure” through enhancing interaction with influential international economic organizations. 
 
He also said that he would adhere to the concept of moderation and take measures to enhance mutual confidence between Iran and other countries to help Iran, which is a powerful country, regain its rightful place in the world.  
 
Elsewhere in his remarks, Zarif said that he was not an advocate of a certain political party and would seek the cooperation of everyone keen to defend the country’s interests.  
 
Proposed education minister Mohammad Ali Najafi also delivered a speech in the parliament in which he said, “I am a political analyst and a political activist and have political insight and has never concealed this issue, but I believe that acting based on personal political views in the executive branch of the country, particularly in the education sector, is an injustice to the system.” 
 
He also said that he had always adhered to the guidance of the Supreme Leader, particularly in regard to the political unrest that occurred after the presidential election of June 2009. 
 
In addition, proposed information and communications technology minister Mahmoud Va’ezi, the nominee for the post of intelligence minister Ayatollah Mahmoud Alavi, nominated economy minister Ali Tayyebnia, and proposed health minister Hassan Qazizadeh-Hashemi delivered speeches defending themselves. 
 
EP/PA

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit

Last Updated on 14 August 2013 11:08