| Iranian parliament continues debate on ministerial nominees |
|
|
|
|
|
Rohani delivered a speech in the parliament on Monday, defending the 18-member cabinet he proposed on August 4, which was the day he was inaugurated.
The parliament, which is dominated by conservatives, is scheduled to hold confirmation votes on the nominees for ministerial posts later this week.
Each nominee must present his case in parliament before the confirmation vote.
During Monday’s session, five MPs spoke for and five MPs spoke against the composition of the proposed cabinet.
The 10 MPs had been selected from among 148 who had registered to speak in favor of and 18 who had registered to speak against the proposed cabinet team, which showed that the majority of the MPs support Rohani’s choices for ministerial posts.
If a nominee fails to win confirmation, the president will have three months to pick a new candidate for the post.
There is speculation that the nominees for ministers of oil, education, science, transport, and labor may be rejected.
In a speech on Wednesday, Rohani’s nominee for cooperatives, labor, and social welfare minister, Ali Rabee’i, defended his plans and past record and said, “The only way out of the current situation is creating jobs.”
Rabee’i, who was a social affairs advisor to former president Mohammad Khatami, also said, “The Labor Ministry needs a minister who is a strategist.”
In addition, the nominee for the post of justice minister, Mostafa Pourmohammadi, and the nominee for the post of agriculture minister, Mahmoud Hojjati, delivered speeches defending their records and qualifications.
EP/HG
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader |



















