-

 
logo
                                        Volume. 11787

Iran reiterates nuclear activities are peaceful
PDF Print E-mail
Font Size Larger Font Smaller Font
c_330_235_16777215_0___images_stories_edim_02_at1(41).jpgTEHRAN – The Foreign Ministry spokesman has said that Iran’s nuclear activities are quite transparent and intended for peaceful purposes.
 
Abbas Araqchi made the remarks on Saturday in response to the recent statement by French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius about Iran’s nuclear program.
 
Araqchi said the Islamic Republic is conducting all its nuclear activities under the regular supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the United Nations nuclear watchdog.
 
Under the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), he added, Tehran has the right to use nuclear technology for its economic and scientific progress.
 
The main bone of contention between Tehran and the West is Iran’s uranium enrichment program. 
 
As an IAEA member and a signatory to the NPT, Iran has legal right to produce nuclear fuel for its research reactors and nuclear power plants.
 
Intervention in Syria unacceptable
 
Araqchi also warned that any foreign military intervention in Syria will lead to further bloodshed in the Arab country.
 
He reiterated the Islamic Republic’s position that dialogue and democratic approaches are the only ways out of the crisis.
 
Araqchi further condemned the recent use of chemical weapons by foreign-backed terrorists in Syria and called on France and other Western countries to take measures to prevent funding terrorist groups. 
 
According to AP, Syrian state media accused rebels of using chemical arms against government troops in clashes Saturday near Damascus, while an international aid group said it has tallied 355 deaths from a purported chemical weapons attack earlier this week.
 
Doctors Without Borders said three hospitals it supports in the eastern Damascus region reported receiving roughly 3,600 patients with “neurotoxic symptoms” over less than three hours on Wednesday morning, when the attack in the eastern Ghouta area took place.
 
Of those, 355 died, said the Paris-based group.
 
MT/PA

rssfeed socializeit
Socialize this
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
Twitter Facebook Myspace Stumbleupon Digg Technorati aol blogger google reddit