|UAE arrests suspects in kidnapping of Iranian-British businessman in Dubai||
TEHRAN – Security forces in the United Arab Emirates have detained three Iranians suspected of kidnapping a British-Iranian businessman who went missing in Dubai in June, the Dubai government said on Thursday, Reuters reported.
Britain's Foreign Office said in August it was in touch with the Dubai and Iranian governments over the case of Abbas Yazdi, who went missing in June in Dubai.
The Dubai government press office said that the state security service arrested the three on suspicion of kidnapping Yazdi, a 44-year-old businessman who owns a general trading company in the Persian Gulf Arab emirate.
"The security apparatus identified the group members and… was able to uncover the method they had used to kidnap the suspect," the statement said.
It quoted Dhahi Khalfan, Dubai's deputy chairman of police and general security, as saying that the three were about to dispose of some personal effects of Yazdi that had been under surveillance when they were arrested.
The three were being questioned to find out the whereabouts of Yazdi, it said.
Yazdi went missing on June 25.
Foreign Secretary William Hague raised Yazdi's disappearance with his Iranian counterpart Ali Akbar Salehi during a telephone conversation on July 31.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader