|Boko Haram actions are source of concern: Iran||
TEHRAN - Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman has condemned the actions taken by the terrorist group Boko Haram, describing the group’s moves as a “source of concern”.
Marzieh Afkham made the remarks in her weekly meeting with reporters on Tuesday.
She expressed hope that a serious action would be taken by the international community to prevent terrorist groups from doing such despicable acts.
Boko Haram militants stormed an all-girl secondary school in the village of Chibok, in Borno state, on April 14 and packed the teenagers, who had been taking exams, onto trucks and disappeared into a remote area along the border with Cameroon.
Commenting on the meeting between a high-ranking Iranian Foreign Ministry official and Nigerian Ambassador Tukur Mani in Tehran on Monday, she voiced Iran’s readiness to help free the abducted Nigerian students.
During the meeting with the Nigerian ambassador, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian announced that Tehran is ready to “provide any kind of assistance” to the Nigerian government to help it locate and free the schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram.
Afkham went on to say that cooperation between Islamic countries would help foil terrorist actions.
Extremist and terrorist groups pose threats to all people around the world, she noted.
Afkham congratulates Iraq on successful election
She also congratulated Iraq for holding successful parliamentary election, expressing hope that a new Iraqi government would be formed based on the country’s constitution in which the wishes of the Iraqi people will be realized.
On April 30, Iraq held a general election, the first since U.S. troops withdrew in late 2011, and amid a protracted surge in nationwide unrest.
Hasty assessment of nuclear talks inaccurate
She also said a “hasty assessment” of the latest round of nuclear talks between Iran and world powers is “not accurate”.
Asked about Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif’s latest remarks about nuclear talks, Afkham said what Zarif said revolves around the fact that the mistakes made in the past should not hinder the progress of the talks.
She went on to say that the Western side insists on its “avaricious and illogical demands” which further complicate the nuclear talks.
Writing on his twitter account on Sunday, Zarif emphasized that the opportunity to clinch a deal should not be missed.
“Back from Vienna after tough discussions. Agreement is possible. But illusions need to go. Opportunity shouldn’t be missed again like in 2005,” he wrote.
Iran and the six major powers ended a difficult round of nuclear talks on Friday in Vienna without making any tangible progress.
According to senior Iranian nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi the talks will resume in the Austrian capital on June 16-20.
The Vienna talks were meant to build on the interim deal that Iran and the 5+1 group struck in Geneva in November 2013.
Under the Geneva deal, Iran agreed not to expand its nuclear program for six months in exchange for limited sanctions relief. The agreement came into force on January 20. Iran and the major powers have set a July 20 deadline to clinch a long-term nuclear deal. The deadline can be extended for another six months.
Afkham hopes Iranian diplomat kidnapped in Yemen will be freed soon
Afkham also said Iran hoped that the visit by Amir Abdollahian to Yemen would help release Iranian diplomat Noor Ahmad Nikbakht who was kidnapped in the Sanaa last year.
“We hope that through the cooperation of the Yemeni security officials, grounds would be laid to return Nikbakht home,” she added.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader