|Taliban launch deadly attack on U.S. base||
On Saturday, a truck bomb was detonated near the gate of the base in the Saidabad district of Wardak province. The bombing killed two Afghan policemen and ten civilians and injured two U.S. soldiers and 58 other people, Press TV reported.
A spokesman for the governor of Wardak said that the attackers had targeted the U.S. forces.
"There were two heavy blasts which damaged some parts of the district chief's office and the police headquarters, and ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) forces are also there," Shahidullah Shahid said.
The blast also destroyed military and non-military buildings near the base.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack on the U.S. base.
The U.S.-led war in Afghanistan began on October 7, 2001. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues to rise across the country, despite the presence of about 130,000 U.S.-led troops.
In another incident on Saturday, two U.S. soldiers were killed in eastern Afghanistan.
"Two US Forces-Afghanistan service members died following an insurgent attack in Ghazni province, Afghanistan today," ISAF said in a statement, but provided no further details.
The increasing number of military casualties in Afghanistan has caused widespread anger in the United States and other NATO member states, undermining public support for the Afghan war.
According to the website icasualties.org, 321 foreign troops, mostly U.S. personnel, have lost their lives in Afghanistan so far this year.
A total of 566 U.S.-led forces died in Afghanistan in 2011. However, 2010 remains the deadliest year for foreign military casualties, with a death toll of 711.
(Source: Press TV)
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader