|U.S. contractor killed in attack in eastern Afghanistan||
KABUL — U.S. military officials say three men wearing Afghan army uniforms and driving an Afghan army vehicle forced their way onto a U.S. base in eastern Afghanistan and opened fire, killing one civilian contractor, AP reported.
Spokesman Maj. Adam Wojack says all three attackers were killed, and Afghan and NATO coalition officials are now investigating. The incident took place Friday in Tagab district in Kapisa province.
The military will not release the contractor's nationality until next of kin has been notified.
An Afghan official in Kapisa province says only that there was a clash between Afghan and U.S. forces that resulted in casualties. He spoke anonymously because the investigation is ongoing.
A Taliban spokesman says they did not carry out the attack. Other smaller insurgent groups are also active in the area.
According to the website icasualties.org, a total of 4 US troops have lost their lives in war-torn Afghanistan so far this year.
A total of 310 US soldiers died in Afghanistan in 2012, and 418 US were killed in 2011. The year 2010, however, remains the deadliest year for the U.S. military with a death toll of 499.
The increasing number of military casualties in Afghanistan has caused widespread anger in the US and other NATO member states, undermining public support for the Afghan war.
The U.S.-led war in Afghanistan began in 2001. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues to rise across Afghanistan, despite the presence of about over 100,000 U.S.-led troops.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader