|Gaza death toll exceeds 2,000||
The death toll in the Gaza Strip rose above 2,000 on Monday as more people injured in the Israeli war on the territory succumbed to their injuries, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.
The toll, which had stood at 1,980, jumped up after a number of people died from their injuries in hospitals across Gaza, as well as in Cairo and Jerusalem where they had been taken for treatment.
Gaza's Health Ministry said the death toll rose over 2,000 as more people succumbed to injuries sustained since the fighting began, AFP reported.
The figures showed 2,016 people had been killed and another 10,196 wounded.
Among the dead were 541 children, 250 women and 95 elderly men - or around 44 percent of the total number of victims.
As millions in and around Gaza enjoyed an eighth day of calm brought on by two back-to-back truce agreements, tensions were once again on the rise ahead of a new deadline ending a five-day cease-fire which expires at 2100 GMT.
But there was little sign of any workable consensus emerging from ongoing talks between Israeli and Palestinian negotiators in Cairo.
Ahead of the deadline, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas was to travel to Doha where he was to meet with exiled Hamas political chief Khaled Meshaal Tuesday and also hold talks with the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani.
Qatar is a key backer of Hamas, the de facto rulers of Gaza.
Following talks with Meshaal in Doha, Abbas will travel to Cairo Friday for talks with Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi a day later.
Despite the concern over the looming deadline, the streets of Gaza City and the northern town of Jabalya were relatively full, bustling with women and children shopping for food, as men sat outside in the shade, chatting or watching the world go by.
Israelis demolish homes of two Palestinians
Israeli occupation forces on Monday demolished the homes of two Palestinians Israel suspects of the abduction and killing of three settlers in the occupied West Bank in June, Palestinian media reported Monday.
Troops set charges to destroy the homes of Hussam Qawasme and Amar Abu Aysha in the southern West Bank before dawn and sealed off the home of a third suspect, Marwan Qawasme, by pumping concrete into the property, Palestinian Ma’an News Agency said.
Israel had accused Hamas of the abduction and killing of the three settlers who went missing near an illegal settlement in mid-June and were discovered dead a few weeks later in the West Bank.
Israel used the abductions as a pretext to bomb and invade the Gaza Strip.
Palestinian negotiator: Israelis added 'unacceptable' modifications to Egyptian proposal
A member of the Palestinian ceasefire delegation to Cairo, Qais Abdul-Karim, told Anadolu news agency on Sunday evening that they had not yet reached any "decisive" results with the talks.
Abdul-Karim attributed the reason for the lack of progress to the Israeli amendments to the Egyptian ceasefire document, which proposed a lasting agreement with 11 points.
Describing the Israeli amendments as unacceptable and bad, he said: "The Israeli occupation concentrated on a previous demand–the demilitarisation [of the Palestinian resistance]."
The Palestinian and Israeli delegations arrived back in Cairo on Sunday. Both delegations met with the Egyptian mediators the same day and are scheduled to meet them again on Monday.
Commenting on their first meeting to discuss the Egyptian proposal, Anadolu quotes Hamas's senior leader and member of the delegation Musa Abu Marzouk as saying: "Israel rejected the Egyptian paper by introducing amendments to it, returning the negotiations to square one."
Abu Marzouk continued: "Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is a prisoner to domestic contradictions. He waged ground and air offensives and lost them both."
He warned that if a ceasefire agreement is not reached within the next 24 hours, "the truce may not be extended for the third time."
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader