Govt. seeks to withdraw 5-year plan from Majlis

September 6, 2010

TEHRAN - In protest over the amendments to the Fifth Development Plan (2010-2015) made by a special Majlis committee, the administration has requested that the plan be withdrawn.

The administration of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wrote a letter to the Majlis on Sunday asking it to withdraw the plan, MP Ali-Asghar Yousefnejad said on Sunday.
In response to the letter, the Majlis sent a delegation of MPs, headed by Deputy Majlis Speaker Mohammad-Hassan Aboutorabifard, to the Presidential Office to discuss the matter, he added.
Yousefnejad said he was not notified of the outcome of the meeting.
Meanwhile, MP Mohammad-Hossein Farhangi of the Majlis Planning and Budget Committee has expressed skepticism about the administration’s request, saying, “The move is not in the country’s interests.”
However, the administration and the MPs might reach a compromise to prevent the plan from being withdrawn, he said.
In protest at the changes to the Fifth Development Plan, the administration’s representatives did not attend the session of the parliamentary committee on Saturday.
However, the lawmakers sitting on the special committee convened as scheduled to study the plan.
Representatives from various committees, especially the budget and economic committees, are represented on the special committee.
The request for the withdrawal of the Fifth Development Plan is the culmination of the long-running dispute between the Majlis and the administration.
Previously, the parliament criticized the administration for failing to submit its draft of the Fifth Development Plan on time.
According to the law, the administration was required to submit its draft of the Fifth Development Plan to the Majlis by June 21, 2009 so that the parliament could have approved it three to four months later.
But after months of procrastination, the administration submitted the plan to the Majlis on January 11, 2010.