Iran blames Saudis for probable cancellation of hajj

May 11, 2016

TEHRAN – Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari said on Wednesday that Saudi Arabia will be blamed if no agreement is reached upon dispatching Iranian pilgrims to hajj.

Saudi Arabia mixes the issue of hajj with political differences and has so far obstructed sending pilgrims to hajj, he said in a televised interview.

He expressed hope that Saudi Arabia would change its “wrong policy” and make it possible to reach an agreement on executive affairs.

Iran and Saudi Arabia have been at odds over a number of regional issues. Apart from the Mina hajj stampede during which about 400 Iranian pilgrims were killed, the two countries are at loggerheads over other issues, particularly the Syrian conflict.

Saudi Arabia severed its political ties with Iran after the country’s diplomatic posts in Tehran and Mashahd were stormed in a public mob, though Iran has taken legal action against the culprits.    

NA/PA

 

Leave a Comment

3 + 4 =