1.1m visited Sistan-Baluchestan during Noruz

April 13, 2019

TEHRAN – Over 1.1 million visited Sistan-Baluchetan province during the New Year (Noruz) holidays (March 21-April 5), which shows 19 percent increase in comparison to the same period last year, its governor general has said.

“More than 1.1 million people toured Sistan-Baluchestan during Noruz holidays, and over nine million visits to the province’s historical, cultural and natural sites were registered during the period,” Ahmad-Ali Mouhebati said, IRNA reported.

In March 2017, provincial tourism authorities announced putting a new face to Sistan-Baluchestan was on their agenda in a bid to turn it into a tourist destination.

The southeast province is home to several distinctive archaeological sites and natural attractions, including two UNESCO World Heritage sites, namely Shahr-e-Soukhteh (Burnt City) and Lut desert, shared between it and Kerman province.

AFM/MQ/MG