Give Yourself Up, Lawyer Tells Suharto's Son
The call followed a bomb blast in the East Java capital of Surabaya, killing one person and injuring another.
Police on Monday accused Humo Mandala Putra, or "Tommy" Suharto, of involvement in a number of fatal bombings and the assassination two weeks ago of the chief judge who had sentenced him to 18 months' jail for graft.
"As his lawyer, I still think that Tommy has to surrender himself...but he doesn't want to do so because he believes he has been treated unfairly," Tommy's lawyer, Nudirman Munir, told local radio station Ramako.
Police said the raid on the home of a friend of Tommy late on Monday had uncovered evidence of his involvement in the Jakarta bombings over the past year but police said they had found no trace of Tommy, who has been on the run since November.
Jakarta police chief Sofjan Jacoeb told reporters on Monday the still powerful Suharto clan had three days to surrender the former playboy and millionaire businessman.
There have been a number of unsolved bomb attacks in the crisis-racked country in recent months including a massive blast in the Jakarta Stock Exchange building in the center of the capital, killing 15 people mostly drivers.
On Tuesday morning, an explosion rocked Surabaya, killing a woman and injuring a street vendor from whom she was buying breakfast.
The explosion, believed to be from a bomb, hit at around 6 a.m. (2300 GMT) near the front entrance of a house. There was no immediate word on who owned the house.
---- No Contact With Tommy ----
Munir said he had not made direct contact with his client, who denies any wrongdoing, since November.
"I have never contacted Tommy since he has been on the run. Never. I only make contact with (his) family via a contact person -- I receive information from them which allows me to do my job as his lawyer," Munir said.
In the raid, police said they found an undisclosed number of home-made bombs, 74 sticks of dynamite, two M-16 rifles, five handguns and several grenades, as well as documents mapping the homes of the three judges and outlining their routines.
Although publicly they are no closer to catching one of Indonesia's most famous figures than when he first went on the run, police have issued a new picture of a bearded Tommy, who they said was now using the alias "Ibrahim".
Police said they had arrested 10 people since Saturday in relation to the investigation, but did not give any details.
Police did not explain the timing of the raid after months of public inaction.
Under Suharto, forced from power in 1998 amid social and economic chaos, Indonesia became a byword for corruption and the three presidents who have followed have come under strong pressure to prosecute the former first family and its cronies.
Critics accuse Suharto's six children of corruptly amassing a fortune of up to $45 billion in his 32-year, army-backed rule. Tommy was involved in some of the more notorious projects during his father's rule.
But the former president has so far escaped trial after a court ruled he was no longer medically or mentally fit. Tommy is the only child to be brought before a court. All the Suhartos have denied any wrongdoing.