Persian Gulf bridge project kicks off

March 15, 2011 - 0:0

TEHRAN, Mar. 14 (MNA) - Construction of a major bridge in the Qeshm Free Zone, which will connect Qeshm Island in the Persian Gulf to mainland Iran, started on Monday.

The 2,200-meter bridge project is becoming operational after 38 years and its construction has been estimated at the cost of 650 million euros, 15 percent of which will be provided by state funds and the remaining 85 percent will come through domestic and foreign investment.
The bridge will link Qeshm Island in the Persian Gulf to the port city of Bandar Abbas in Hormozgan province, south of Iran.
The implementation of the “Persian Gulf Bridge” project will further boost national economy and facilitate the transit of goods.
Monday’s ceremony where ground was broken for the giant bridge was attended by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.