Key agent identified

Iran arrests 10 suspects over Chabahar attack

December 9, 2018

TEHRAN - Police Chief Hossein Ashtari said on Sunday that 10 suspects related to the terrorist attack in Chabahar, a port city in southeastern Iran, have been arrested.

Ashtari said that there are other suspects who will be arrested in “another time”.

In the suicide terrorist attack on the police station in Chabahar on Thursday morning two policemen were martyred. At least 43 individuals were also injured during the attack. 10 of the injured were police forces and others were ordinary people. Women and children were also among the injured.

Ansar al-Furqan claimed responsibility for the attack.

General Ashtari said the suicide attack was “unsuccessful”, praising “vigilance” by police for preventing an attack with high casualties.

Rahmdel Bameri, governor of Sistan-Baluchestan province, said on Thursday a bomb-filled vehicle was used to target the police station by the suicide attacker.

“Police stopped the explosive-laden car and started firing at the driver ... who then set off the explosion near the police headquarters in Chabahar,” Bameri explained.

Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that the terrorists behind the suicide attack and their masters will definitely face punishment.

“Foreign-backed terrorists kill & wound innocents in Chabahar. As we’ve made clear in the past, such crimes won’t go unpunished: In 2010, our security services intercepted & captured extremists en route from UAE. Mark my words: Iran WILL bring terrorists & their masters to justice,” Zarif tweeted hours after the attack.

Key agent identified

On Sunday, the deputy interior minister for security and law enforcement said that the key agent of the terrorist attack had been identified.

Hossein Zolfaqari, who was speaking to the Iran Labor News Agency, said authorities are fast upon pursuing such cases because they not only threaten the country’s security, but people’s livelihoods.

NA/PA

Leave a Comment

6 + 11 =