More American troops ‘treated’ after Iran attack on US base, Pentagon admits

January 22, 2020 - 22:46

The U.S. military says there were more troops in the U.S. airbase in Iraq when it came under attack by Iran in retaliation for the U.S. assassination of Iran’s General Qassem Soleimani.

U.S. Central Command announced Tuesday that apart from the 11 previously announced injured, additional troops were being treated.

The CENTCOM has refused to mention the exact figure so far and appears to be taking advantage of U.S. President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial in the Senate to make the announcement as smoothly as possible in order to save the U.S. military’s reputation in the wake of the disastrous defeat.

Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for CENTOM, said additional service members were moved "out of an abundance of caution" and that "it is possible additional injuries may be identified in the future."

"As medical treatment and evaluations in theater continue, additional service members have been identified as having potential injuries," Urban claimed. "These service members -- out of an abundance of caution -- have been transported to Landstuhl, Germany for further evaluations and necessary treatment on an outpatient basis. Given the nature of injuries already noted, it is possible additional injuries may be identified in the future."

On January 8, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) fired volleys of ballistic missiles at the Ain al-Asad airbase.

The missile operation was in response to the January 3 assassination of Lieutenant General Soleimani, commander of the IRGC’s Quds Force, and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the second-in-command of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), and a group of their companions in Baghdad. The cowardly operation was conducted under U.S. President Donald Trump’s direction.

Both commanders enjoyed deep reverence among Muslim nations over their endeavors in eliminating the Daesh Takfiri terror group in the region, particularly in Iraq and Syria.

Leave a Comment

4 + 11 =