Zarif slaps down Nikki Haley for ignorant remarks on nuclear deal

August 30, 2017

TEHRAN – In a Wednesday interview, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif dismissed remarks by U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley on the Iran nuclear deal, saying she is not well informed about the content of the international agreement.

“The issue Ms. Haley has raised shows how remarkably uninformed she is regarding the text of the nuclear deal,” Zarif said.

Last week, Haley urged the International Atomic Energy Agency to seek access to Iranian military sites as part of the deal, formally titled the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which was signed between Iran on the one side and the U.S., Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China on the other. 

The JCPOA is a comprehensive agreement which has specified solutions for every issue, Zarif said, adding that the nuclear deal was negotiated and written using precise terms.

“(The text of) the nuclear deal is completely clear and straightforward regarding the issues Ms. Haley commented on,” noted the chief diplomat who is expert on international law.

’Bolton’s plan to exist JCPOA would further isolate America’

Elsewhere in his remarks, Zarif railed against a plan proposed by former U.S. ambassador to the UN John Bolton for Washington’s withdrawal from the nuclear accord, saying the plan would further isolate the U.S.

“I have read Bolton’s plan, which he apparently has failed to directly send to the White House. It would definitely [bring about] a major defeat for the United States, and will make America more isolated in the international arena,” the foreign minister said.

In a National Review op-ed published on Monday, Bolton elaborated his plan on how to get out of the nuclear deal.

Bolton wrote, “In fact, Steve Bannon asked me in late July to draw up just such a game plan for the president — the option he didn’t have — which I did.” 

Bolton also said, “Trump can and should free America from this execrable deal at the earliest opportunity.”

The hawkish U.S. politician, who was once named as a possible choice for secretary of state, said he decided to present his plan publicly since it has been impossible for him to present it to Trump – who once told him “come in and see me any time” – due to “staff changes” at the White House. 

Pointing to Bolton’s previous plan over a decade ago to halt Iran’s uranium enrichment program, Zarif said, “Mr. Bolton must remember that had his policy been successful, the U.S. would not have had to come to the negotiating table with Iran after 10 year of pursuing that policy and reach an agreement.”

MH/PA 

Leave a Comment

3 + 3 =