Ruhollah Zam to be tried in coming days: Judiciary

February 8, 2020 - 18:33

TEHRAN — The spokesman for Iran’s Judiciary says the trial of Ruhollah Zam, the operator behind Amad News website and Telegram channel, will be held in the coming days.

Gholam-Hossein Esmaili said on Saturday that Zam’s trial will be held within the framework of the country’s laws and regulations, Tasnim reported, citing IRIB news.

“In addition to the main defendant in the case, five other people have been arrested and some others have been summoned to the court and their cases are under investigation,” he said.

Esmaili said the case of Zam will be dealt with separately from the other defendants.

In October 2019, the IRGC announced that Zam had been arrested during a complicated intelligence operation.

Zam launched Amad News in 2015. The channel frequently posted fake news stories and called for violence with the aim of overthrowing the Islamic Republic system.

During the protest rallies in December 2018, he urged the people to take arms against the government.

In its statement, the IRGC said it lured Zam into Iran using “clever, multidimensional and innovative tricks”, which even deceived foreign intelligence agencies.

The IRGC also said the French intelligence service was behind Zam’s activities, which were also backed by the U.S. and the Zionist regime’s spy services.

The Guards posted the news of his arrest on Zam’s Telegram channel with a following of over a million users, effectively taking over the administration of the popular channel.

It also posted a photo of Zam in custody, under which it was written: “This is just the beginning”.

Back in December 2017, Telegram blocked the channel of Amad News for encouraging people to violence after a request by Iranian Minister of Communications and Information Technology Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi.

However, Zam resumed his activities by launching a new channel called Seday-e Mardom, which is translated as “voice of the people”.

MH/PA

Leave a Comment

2 + 5 =