Conductor Fakhreddini quits Iran’s National Orchestra

July 14, 2009

TEHRAN -- The conductor of Iran’s National Orchestra resigned from his position on Monday.

“I don’t want to continue collaboration with the orchestra any more,” Farhad Fakhreddini told the Persian service of MNA.
Asked for a reason, he said, “At present, I prefer to keep silent and it is better you ask Dr. Khabari, the director of the Music Center of the Culture Ministry for the reason.”
No comment has been made about this report by the Music Center yet.
Fakhreddini’s resignation occurs following the Music Center’s decision last week to entrust the management of the orchestra to the Rudaki Foundation.
The orchestra was to perform concerts in Tehran late June, but Fakhreddini, 72, cancelled the performances, allegedly on account of illness.
Tar soloist of the orchestra Keyvan Saket had previously resigned from the concerts for the unrest erupted after Iran’s June presidential election, saying, “The situation is not at all appropriate for performing concerts.”
Iran’s National Orchestra was established by Fakhreddini in 1998