Citizens of poor nations need Libya rescue too: UNCHR

March 2, 2011 - 0:0

GENEVA (Reuters) – Many citizens of Iraq, Sudan, Somalia and other poor countries are stranded in Libya as they lack the resources to escape, UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres said Monday.

Richer nations have managed to evacuate thousands of their nationals by air and by sea.
But, said UNHCR chief Antonio Guterres, many foreign workers and refugees have been unable to leave and fear for their lives.
""There are no planes and boats to evacuate people originating from war-torn or very poor countries,"" he said in a statement.
More than 110,000 people have crossed land borders from Libya to Tunisia and Egypt so far, he estimated. Most have been Egyptians and Tunisians who were working in Libya, and some Libyans and people of other nationalities have managed to get out.
But some have been targeted for abuse or attack, Guterres said.
""Africans seem to be particularly at risk as they are being associated with foreign mercenaries,"" he said.
The International Organization for Migration estimates about 1.5 million undocumented migrant workers from Africa and Asia are currently in Libya.
Snaking queues outside bakeries and soaring rice and flour prices have fueled public anger in the Libyan capital as protests against leader Muammar Gaddafi spread around the country.
The turmoil, which started in the east about 10 days ago and has now spread to other parts of Libya, has disrupted supplies in the desert, oil-producing nation which depends on imports to cover domestic food demand.
In Tripoli's working class Fashloom neighborhood, locals said flour, vegetables and fuel prices had risen by at least 20 percent in their neighborhood in the last 10 days.
People formed long lines outside bakeries, limited to selling between five and 20 loaves of bread per customer, depending on the area. One man in Fashloom said an average extended household in Tripoli consumed about 40 loaves a day.
“There isn't enough food,” said Basim, 25, a bank employee, adding that many workers in the public sector had yet to receive salaries for February. “It's the end of the month, my money is running out. I don't know what I will do.”
Crowds of people also massed outside state banks, which have started distributing handouts of about $400 per family in an effort by Gaddafi's government to drum up support.
Inside one bank, there were frantic scenes as chain-smoking employees worked through people's papers and counted out wads of cash. One man in the crowd shouted angrily and rattled metal gates outside the bank teller's window.
“It's a difficult situation. Food in many countries in getting more expensive. In Libya, rising prices suddenly changed the situation,” said Khaled Amir, 30, a bank manager. “People are nervous.”
Asked about the delay in public sector wages, a government source said 60 percent of public sector workers had received their salaries and the remaining 40 percent would receive them no later than Wednesday.
The source said the delay was because the government had ordered pay rises and it was taking time to re-calculate the new wages. The minimum wage is 450 Libyan dinars ($357) a month.
The World Food Program has said Libya could find its food supply cut off due to disruption of imports.
Medical supplies have also been hit, particularly in rebel-held cities such as Zawiyah near Tripoli.
A doctor there told Reuters over the weekend a makeshift hospital treating people wounded in clashes with state forces did not have enough supplies and needed more doctors.
A report published by British-based think tank the Quilliam Foundation said on Monday: “Civil infrastructure is in increasing disarray and there is the strong possibility that a humanitarian crisis may occur due to further fighting or disruption to food supplies.”
“People want the government to change,” said one man in Fashloom, speaking anonymously. “There are no jobs and people are nervous and worried. ... (Gaddafi) does not want to change. But people want change. That's why there is a conflict.