Shamkhani: Issue of Iran military sites is closed

September 15, 2017

TEHRAN - Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani has said the issue of access to Iran’s military sites is a “closed dossier”, noting Iran will respond to U.S. “counter-constructive behavior”.

“There is no nuclear activity or even research at the Islamic Republic of Iran’s military sites which has been confirmed by the Agency [the International Atomic Energy Agency] in the past years,” IRNA quoted the security chief as saying on Friday.

“However,” he added, “researches are being done on the area of conventional weapons, especially in missile technology, within the framework of defense and deterrence capability which will be continued powerfully.”

Last month, the U.S. ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, traveled to Vienna to press for inspection of Iran’s military sites.

Shamkhani noted that Iran’s behavior is based on its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, and “will not accept any commitment beyond what was agreed upon”.

Shamkhani added, “Counter-constructive behavior of the Trump administration is an effort to harm the international (nuclear) agreement and ruin the country’s [the U.S.] status in the international system.”

“[But] Iran will definitely respond appropriately,” he asserted.

Iran, the European Union, Germany and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council including the United States signed the nuclear deal in July 2015. It went into effect in January 2016.

Yukiya Amano, chief of the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency, reconfirmed on Monday that Iran is honoring its commitments under the nuclear deal.

Also, at a recent panel discussion on global nuclear governance in the Bled Strategic Forum in Slovenia, Amano said, “Iran is subject to the world’s most robust nuclear verification regime. Our inspectors are on the ground 24/7. We monitor nuclear facilities, using permanently installed cameras and other equipment.” 

On September 5, Haley laid out a case for President Donald Trump to step back from the nuclear deal, arguing that Iran’s technical compliance alone isn’t enough for the U.S. to stick with the pact. 

NA/PA

Leave a Comment

2 + 13 =