Killing of Nigerian Muslims unacceptable: Iran

November 16, 2016

TEHRAN – Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi on Tuesday condemned the brutal killings of Muslims in a peaceful religious gathering in the northern Nigerian city of Kano, IRNA reported.

“The repetition of the brutal killing of Muslims in a peaceful religious gathering, which was devoid of threats and violence, is worrisome and unacceptable,” said Qassemi.

Shia mourners, in Nigeria and across the world, have been preparing themselves for the upcoming Arbaeen mourning rituals, marking the end of the 40-day mourning period for Imam Hussein (AS), the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad (S).

Press TV put the number of deaths at nearly 100.

According to media, Nigerian armed forces opened fire on a religious gathering of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), the country's largest Shia group, in Kano on Monday.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry official called on Nigerian authorities to take necessary measures to prevent recurrence of such criminal acts. 

It is necessary that the Nigerian officials keep vigilance against violence and sectarianism, he stressed. 

The latest brutal attack on the mourning march in Nigeria occurred when police tried to disperse thousands of people who were marching from Kano to Kaduna state for the mourning rituals, Press TV reported.

Nigerian forces said they opened fire on the crowd after one of their officers was hurt.

The Islamic Movement in Nigeria have been subjected to a violent crackdown since last year after the military forces attacked a religious ceremony in their stronghold of Zaria in the north.

MH/PA
 

Leave a Comment

1 + 8 =