By Alex Crawford, special correspondent, in Istanbul

Sky sources: Jamal Khashoggi's body parts found

October 23, 2018

Body parts belonging to murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi have been found, according to Sky sources.

Sources have told Sky News the writer had been "cut up" and his face "disfigured".

One source also suggested Mr Khashoggi's remains were discovered in the garden of the Saudi consul general's home.

It comes after Turkey's president said Mr Khashoggi's body had not been found and demanded Saudi officials reveal its whereabouts.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan said: "Why has the body of someone who was officially said to be killed not been found yet?"

There was also no mention of an alleged audio recording that the Turkish authorities claim to have of Mr Khashoggi's death that supposedly confirms he was tortured, killed, had his fingers cut off and was dismembered.

The Turkish president gave no specific details on how the 59-year-old was killed, but said his death was planned days in advance by Saudi officials.

Sources have told Sky News the writer had been "cut up" and his face "disfigured".
He said Turkish investigators had evidence the Saudi journalist was the victim of a premeditated "savage murder" by a 15-man hit squad.

The apparent discovery of Mr Khashoggi's body parts - and Mr Erdogan's version of events based on what he described as "new evidence and information" - both contradict Saudi Arabia's explanation for his death.

It has said Mr Khashoggi died in a "fist fight" at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October.

Mr Khashoggi was a known critic of the Saudi government and the country's crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

The Turkish president did not mention the crown prince in his speech, though officials linked to the royal have been implicated in the killing.

Saudi Arabia has said the heir-apparent of the world's top oil exporter was not involved, but any major decision must be signed off by the highest powers within its ruling Al Saud family.

Mr Erdogan said Riyadh's suggestion it was a rogue operation "will not satisfy us" and said there should be no diplomatic immunity for his killers.

He said 18 people had been arrested - three from the consulate and a further 15 who are believed to be part of a hit squad who flew to Istanbul to carry out the killing - and they should all stand trial in Istanbul.

"To blame such an incident on a handful of security and intelligence members would not satisfy us or the international community," Mr Erdogan said in an address to the Turkish parliament.

"Saudi Arabia has taken an important step by admitting the murder.

"As of now we expect of them to openly bring to light those responsible - from the highest ranked to the lowest - and to bring them to justice."

Leave a Comment

2 + 9 =